Jug Bay 5K/10K "Run for Wildlife" & 3K Fun Walk
Held the first Saturday in November, this 5 kilometer (K)/10K foot race and 3K fun walk takes participants along the banks of the Patuxent River and across a 1,000-foot bridge through a wetland area. All proceeds go toward wildlife conservation projects.
Trot for a Turkey (Festival of Lights)
For more than 30 years, visitors to the annual Winter Festival of Lights have been dazzled by twinkling light displays as they drove through the meandering roads of Watkins Regional Park. Now, visitors have the opportunity to walk or run through the 5K (3.1 mile) course and see the light show up close. Registration fee will provide a family in need with a holiday turkey.
Suitland Bog Tour
Home to many rare and beautiful species of plants, including carnivorous pitcher plants and sundews, the Suitland Bog, located off Suitland Road, is one of the few remaining bogs in the Washington, D.C. area. Guided hikes for all ages are available by reservation.
Participants age 6 to 12 learn tips on how to ride a bike safely by doing a skills course, bike safety discussion, bike and helmet check, and a basic bike course. Participants provide working bikes and properly fitting helmets. Contact your community center for Bike Rodeo availability and schedule.
The Kayak Program at Lake Artemesia provides an opportunity for persons 12 years of age and older to see the lake from a different perspective. Participants will see waterfowl, turtles, fish and other local wildlife. Please check SMARTlink for current dates.
- Persons under 18 years of age must be accompanied by an adult.
- Tandem kayaks available by request (call 301-627-7755) after registering.
- Limited space available per session.
Archery With a Ranger
Archery is one of the oldest sports in the world. Come and learn the basics of using a bow and arrow. Concentration, patience, coordination and safety awareness are just a few of the many skills that archery helps develop. Please check SMARTlink for current dates.
- Ages 8 and up, adult supervision required for persons under 18.
- This program is held at the archery ranges at Adelphi Manor Community Park in Adelphi, MD or at the Bock Road Maintenance Yard in Fort Washington, MD. Please check SMARTlink for current dates.
Fishing With a Ranger
Join the Park Rangers as they teach you about fishing! Learn casting, handling fish, fishing ethics and safety, and fish biology. Equipment and bait will be provided or bring your own. The program is recommended for beginners, age 6 to 12. Please check SMARTlink for current dates.
- Adult supervision required.
- This program is generally held at these locations:
- Cosca Lake in Clinton
- Lake Artemesia in College Park
- Schoolhouse Pond in Upper Marlboro
- Tucker Pond in Fort Washington