Submit a Complaint
Types of Complaints
There are generally two categories into which a complaint may be classified:
- On or off-duty conduct which violates federal, state or local laws, or which violates Park Police policies or procedures (unnecessary force, unwarranted police actions, and discourtesy)
- Neglect of duty: any police conduct required by department regulations but not performed by the officer
File a ComplaintAll Park Police personnel are required to receive complaints courteously and to assist individuals with filing them. There are several ways to file a complaint, including the following:
- Come to Park Police Headquarters and speak with a supervisor. Frequently, questions and concerns can be answered and resolved most expediently this way. To document a complaint, fill out a Complaint Concerning Police Practices Form online and provide a written record of your complaint.
- Contact Park Police at the non-emergency number, 301-459-9088, and ask to speak to a supervisor. Many concerns can be handled this way. If the matter cannot be resolved immediately, the supervisor will mail a Complaint Concerning Police Practices form which can be completed and returned through the mail.
- Send Park Police a letter detailing the complaint. Please be sure to include your address and your daytime and evening phone numbers so someone can contact you for additional information.
- Electronically submit a detailed written record of your complaint to Internal Affairs.
Supervisory personnel of the Park Police will investigate all complaints received. This investigation may include:
- Interviews (of witnesses and officers)
- Review of departmental records, policies, and procedures
- Inspections of medical records and photographs
- Legal analysis