Largo HQ: Building the Future of our Communities
The Prince George’s County Planning Department is relocating to our new headquarters in Largo!
The M-NCPPC Prince George’s County Planning Board and Planning Department offices are moving to Largo starting November 9, 2023! Our new address will be 1616 McCormick Drive, Largo, MD 20774. Continue to connect with us via email and phone until we are settled in our new location.
Beginning Thursday, November 9, 2023 – following the Planning Board meeting – our data center and software products will be disconnected and offline. These platforms include, but are not limited to, the Development Activity Monitoring System (DAMS), On-Line Permits Tracking Systems, Person of Record Registration, Registered Associations, all dashboards, ArcGIS online applications, and more. However, our GIS mapping application (PGAtlas) will be available. For a complete list of systems impacted, visit our website at pgplanning.org. We anticipate our data center will resume full operation by Monday, November 20, 2023. Please note: our email and phone systems will be available during this time.
Effective December 1, 2023, written correspondence should be mailed to the new headquarters. The new mailing address for the Prince George’s County Planning Board and the Prince George’s County Planning Department will be 1616 McCormick Drive, Largo, MD 20774. Also, at that time, the Planning Information Counter will begin accepting in-person appointments.
The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission (M-NCPPC) has a new headquarters in Largo (Largo HQ)! The new headquarters will serve as the primary administrative offices for the Prince George’s County Planning Board, the Prince George’s County Planning Department, and the Prince George’s County Department of Parks and Recreation. This headquarters will:
- Provide the necessary space needed as the departments relocate multiple offices from Upper Marlboro, Riverdale, and Greenbelt.
- Support the implementation of the General Plan by incentivizing the development of Downtown Largo.
- Provide the community with a one-stop location for various M-NCPPC services.
M-NCPPC became aware of an opportunity for its new headquarters. The University of Maryland Global Campus (UMGC) decided to lease or sell two buildings, located at 1601 and 1616 McCormick Drive, Upper Marlboro, Maryland, and a tract of land located at 1440 McCormick Drive. M-NCPPC decided that the UMGC properties would provide a cost-effective location for its new headquarters and submitted an offer to purchase the properties.
In order to proceed with the purchase of this headquarters, M-NCPPC obtained funding approval from the Prince George’s County Council. In addition, the University of Maryland/UMGC obtained approval from the University System of Maryland Board of Regents and the Maryland Board of Public Works. Settlement on the buildings occurred on March 10, 2023.
WHY LARGO HQ?
- The new headquarters aligns with the unified vision outlined in the Prince George’s County Plan 2035 and the Blue Line Corridor.
- Largo HQ will impact the surrounding community and be an economic driver for the County. The relocation of approximately 800 Commission employees to the new headquarters will assist with Largo’s evolution as an economic hub for Prince George’s County.
- M-NCPPC has scattered locations in Prince George’s County and is paying for leased office space. In addition, the new headquarters will consolidate operations and increase efficiency for the services offered by the Planning Board, Planning Department, and the Department of Parks and Recreation.
- The centralized location within the County will provide most residents and stakeholders easier access to Planning Board meetings and public forums.
- This headquarters is in close proximity to other Prince George’s County agencies, the Office of County Executive, and the County Council located in Downtown Largo to better serve the residents of Prince George’s County.
ABOUT THE PROPOSED NEW HEADQUARTERS
- The total square footage of these buildings is 298,722 square feet, and the total land area is 25.8 acres. The chart below provides additional details regarding the buildings and property:
1616 McCormick Drive – a 12.95-acre parcel, with 236,620 sq. ft. three-story office building, with 594 parking spaces
1601 McCormick Drive – a 6.01-acre parcel, with a 62,102 sq. ft. single-story building, with 160 parking spaces
1440 McCormick Drive – a 6.85-acre parcel that includes 304 parking spaces, and a 3-acre nature park
- Please see the photo gallery of the UMGC campus below. Images courtesy of NAI Michael.
M-NCPPC has assembled an award-winning team to design and construct Largo HQ:
- Maryland Economic Development Corporation, Project Development Manager
- Grimm + Parker Architects (WBE), Architect
- Century Engineering, Inc. (WBE), Civil Engineer
- James Posey Associates, Inc., Mechanical, Electrical, and Plumbing Engineer
- Gilbane, Primary General Contractor
- Warren Builds (MBE), Secondary General Contractor
- Mahan Rykiel Associates, Inc. (MBE/WBE), Landscape Architects
- HDC, Inc., Project Manager
|Approval from the Prince George’s County Council Committee of the Whole||October 2022|
|Approved by Prince George’s County Council||December 2022|
|Approved by the University System of Maryland Board of Regents||December 2022|
|Approved by the Board of Public Works||December 2022|
|Purchase of Property||March 2023|
|Ongoing Improvements||Starting in March 2023|
|Staged Occupancy||Mid-November 2023|