Largo HQ: Building the Future of our Communities
The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission (M-NCPPC) became aware of an opportunity for its new headquarters in Largo, Maryland. The University of Maryland Global Campus (UMGC) decided to lease or sell two buildings, located at 1601 and 1616 McCormick Drive, Upper Marlboro, Maryland, and a tract of land located at 1440 McCormick Drive. M-NCPPC decided that the UMGC properties would provide a cost-effective location for its new headquarters.
The new headquarters will serve as the primary administrative offices for the Prince George’s County Planning Board, the Prince George’s County Planning Department, and the Prince George’s County Department of Parks and Recreation. This headquarters will:
- Provide the necessary space needed as the departments relocate multiple offices from Upper Marlboro, Riverdale, and Greenbelt.
- Support the implementation of the General Plan by incentivizing the development of Downtown Largo.
- Provide the community with a one-stop location for various M-NCPPC services.
In order to proceed with the purchasing of this headquarters, M-NCPPC must obtain funding approval from the Prince George’s County Council. In addition, the University of Maryland/UMGC must receive approval from the University System of Maryland Board of Regents and the Maryland Board of Public Works.
WHY LARGO HQ?
- The new headquarters aligns with the unified vision outlined in the Prince George’s County Plan 2035 and the Blue Line Corridor.
- Largo HQ will impact the surrounding community and be an economic driver for the County. The relocation of approximately 800 Commission employees to the new building will assist with Largo’s evolution as an economic hub for Prince George’s County.
- M-NCPPC has scattered locations in Prince George’s County and is paying for leased office space. In addition, one building will consolidate operations and increase efficiency for the services offered by the Planning Board, Planning Department, and the Department of Parks and Recreation.
- The centralized location within the County will provide most residents and stakeholders easier access to Planning Board meetings and public forums.
- This headquarters would be in close proximity to other Prince George’s County agencies, the Office of County Executive, and the County Council located in Downtown Largo to better serve the residents of Prince George’s County.
ABOUT THE PROPOSED NEW HEADQUARTERS
- Total square footage of these buildings is 298,722 square feet, and the total land area is 25.8 acres. The chart below provides additional details regarding the buildings and property:
1616 McCormick Drive – 12.95-acre parcel, with 236,620 sq. ft. three-story office building, with 594 parking spaces
1601 McCormick Drive – 6.01-acre parcel, with 62,102 sq. ft. single-story building, with 160 parking spaces
1440 McCormick Drive – 6.85-acre parcel that includes 304 parking spaces, and 3-acre nature park
- Please see the photo gallery of the UMGC campus below. Images courtesy of NAI Michael.
M-NCPPC has assembled an award-winning team to design and construct Largo HQ:
- Maryland Economic Development Corporation, Project Development Manager
- Grimm + Parker Architects (WBE), Architect
- Century Engineering, Inc. (WBE), Civil Engineer
- James Posey Associates, Inc., Mechanical, Electrical, and Plumbing Engineer
- Gilbane, Primary General Contractor
- Warren Builds (MBE), Secondary General Contractor
- Mahan Rykiel Associates, Inc. (MBE/WBE), Landscape Architects
- HDC, Inc., Project Manager
|Ongoing Improvements||February–August 2023|
|Staged Occupancy||March 2023–August 2023|