We are seeking experienced Youth Theatre Directors to lead three 2-week sessions of performing arts camps at the Clarice Smith Performing Arts Center, University of Maryland. Camps are for kids ages 8 to 16 and include two musical theater sessions and one devised theatre session. The Director will be the lead acting instructor, performance director, and will assist with the overall management of the program. The ideal candidate has a desire to work with kids of all experiences, backgrounds, and talents. Camps operate July 2 to August 10 from 9 am to 4:30 pm. (excluding the July 4th holiday.) All directors must also be available for trainings on evenings TBD the week of June 10, as well as two additional planning dates to be scheduled depending on staff availability.
Theatre Director Duties:
- Plan, organize, and implement a final performance for each of the three camp sessions.
- Responsible for high-quality staging of productions
- Assist with devising and/or writing scripts for final productions when required
- Create rehearsal schedules
- -Develop and execute engaging theatre curriculum and lessons throughout the rehearsal process
- Delegate tasks to assistants and counselors
- Communicate with parents/guardians and M-NCPPC supervisors to ensure a safe, secure and customer friendly environment, promoting cooperation and coordinating with all personnel and participants
At least 24 weeks of previous experience as a youth theatre director or children’s art program as an administrator or a supervisor. Ideal candidates will have at least 1 year in theatre instruction or have a degree in theater education or equivalent field. CPR certification is required, and CPR trainings will be provided.
$18-$26/hour, based on experience
Send cover letter and resume to Elizabeth Malone, Arts Specialist at firstname.lastname@example.org