Fairmount Heights - A History: From Its Beginnings (1900) to Incorporation (1935)

Brochures, Reports, and Special Studies

Fairmount Heights - A History: From Its Beginnings (1900) to Incorporation (1935)

Title:

Fairmount Heights - A History: From Its Beginnings (1900) to Incorporation (1935)

Author:

The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission
Prince George's County Planning Department

Publication Date:
07/01/1991
Source of Copies:

The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission
14741 Governor Oden Bowie Drive
Upper Marlboro, MD 20772

Number of Pages:
45

This report summarizes the findings of an architectural/historical survey of Fairmount Heights, requested by the Mayor and Council of the Town. The goal of the project was to prepare a history of the development of the community from its earliest subdivision in 1900. The report describes the sequential platting, between 1900 and 1923, of the six subdivisions which make up the present-day municipality; it describes the building of some of the earliest homes, and the establishment of community institutions such as schools, churches, the social hall and citizens associations. It analyzes and compares the architectural forms of the residential buildings, and describes the community in 1935 as it achieved incorporation, at that time the largest black municipality in Prince George’s County. The report is supplemented by photographs, plats and maps.