Historic Contexts in Prince George's County

Brochures, Reports, and Special Studies

Historic Contexts in Prince George's County

Title:

Historic Contexts in Prince George's County

Author:

The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission
Prince George's County Planning Department

Publication Date:
08/01/1991
Source of Copies:

The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission
14741 Governor Oden Bowie Drive
Upper Marlboro, MD 20772

Number of Pages:
73

This report consists of a collection of short papers on the settlement patterns, transportation and cultural history of Prince George’s County, Maryland. Most of these papers were prepared as part of a Certified Local Government grant contract with the Maryland Historical Trust; they provide a context or thematic association for the County’s individual historic properties within the broad patterns of history.The first section covers settlement patterns in Prince George’s County: the establishment of the earliest towns (such as Charles Town, Upper Marlborough, and Bladensburg) between 1683 and 1787; the growth of rural village communities (like Rossville, Croom and Aquasco) between 1680 and 1940; and the development of railroad communities (such as Hyattsville, Bowie and Lincoln) between 1870 and 1940. The second section deals with transportation history in Prince George’s County: a description of the early roadways which came into use between 1696 and 1900; a history of the Route 1 corridor from 1740 to 1990; the development of the railroads between 1835 and 1935; the development of streetcar lines between 1892 and 1958; and the history of aviation in the County, from the balloon ascension in 1784 to the growth of the aviation and aeronautics industries in this century. The third section covers cultural history in Prince George’s County: the establishment and significance of early taverns, 1703 to 1862; a history of the established (Anglican) church from 1692 to 1776; and the tobacco industry from 1680 to 1940. These studies were researched and written by the staff (architectural historians and planners) of the Historic Preservation Section, Area Planning Division of the Prince George’s County Planning Department.