Mount Rainier Historic District National Register Nomination

Brochures, Reports, and Special Studies

Mount Rainier Historic District National Register Nomination

Title:

Mount Rainier Historic District National Register Nomination

Author:

The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission
Prince George's County Planning Department

Publication Date:
06/01/1989
Source of Copies:

The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission
14741 Governor Oden Bowie Drive
Upper Marlboro, MD 20772

Number of Pages:
147

This publication documents the architectural and physical character and significance of 1,152 buildings within the Mount Rainier National Register Historic District. The nomination’s two primary sections, Description and Statement of Significance, are annotated, and illustrated with photographs and maps. ‘. The Mount Rainier Historic District is significant as an early, large – and essentially intact example of the type of suburban community that changed the character of western Prince George’s County in the early years of the 20th century. The historic district is also significant for its large and diverse collection of vernacular dwellings and commercial buildings erected between c. 1900 and 1939. Most of the district’s buildings are modestly scaled, detached, single family, frame houses. Throughout the district, buildings were erected with both subtle and substantial differences. These differences represent the evolution and diversity of vernacular design throughout the early years of the 20th century. In addition, there is an important group of five revival style churches designed by local architects. At least one of the churches is the work of a firm nationally known for its ecclesiastical buildings. The district’s period of significance, 1900 to 1939, represents a time of substantial suburban growth for the western portion of Prince George’s County as part of the Washington, D.C., metropolitan area.

Download not available.