North Brentwood Historic Survey

Brochures, Reports, and Special Studies

North Brentwood Historic Survey

Title:

North Brentwood Historic Survey

Author:

The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission
Prince George's County Planning Department

Publication Date:
06/01/1992
Source of Copies:

The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission
14741 Governor Oden Bowie Drive
Upper Marlboro, MD 20772

Number of Pages:
71

This report summarizes the findings of an historical/architectural survey of North Brentwood, requested by the Mayor and Council of the Town. The goal of the project was to document the historic buildings and to prepare a preliminary written history of the town, the first black community to be incorporated in Prince George’s County. The report is divided into three major sections: Pre-Subdivision History, Early Sale of Lots, and Growth and Development of the Subdivision. It includes background history on the earliest development of the community, and the associations of the developer with veterans of the U. S. Colored Troops during the American Civil War. It describes the earliest dwellings built in the community, originally known as Randalltown after the family that first purchased lots and settled there in the early 1890s. It describes the expansion of the original subdivision, and the reclaiming of land formerly flooded by the Northwest Branch. It analyzes by building types the dwellings erected at the turn of the century and into the 1920s. The report also outlines the establishment of community institutions such as churches, schools, businesses, citizens’ association and firemen’s organization; it describes the community’s demographic makeup as it approached incorporation as North Brentwood in 1924. The report is supplemented by photographs, plats and maps.

Download is not available.