Bowie-Mitchellville and Vicinity Master Plan/Sectional Map Amendment
Proposed Bowie-Mitchellville and Vicinity Sectional Map Amendment
2022 Proposed Bowie-Mitchellville and Vicinity Sectional Map Amendment has been published and is available online for download or to view.
Initiated Sectional Map Amendment (SMA)
The District Council initiated the Bowie-Mitchellville and Vicinity Sectional Amendment (SMA) on July 12, 2022. The Bowie-Mitchellville and Vicinity SMA is the second phase of the 2022 Approved Bowie-Mitchellville and Vicinity Master Plan, approved on March 8, 2022, that will apply the recommended zones specified in the Comprehensive Zoning Chapter of the master plan to properties in the plan area.
The public has 30 days from initiation to submit requests using the New Zone Request Form for a new zone and only applies to properties within the SMA area. Requests must be emailed to Prince George's County Planning Department at firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to the following:
|M-NCPPC, Prince George's County Planning Department |
ATTN: Thomas Lester
County Administration Building
14741 Governor Oden Bowie Drive
Upper Marlboro, MD 20772
Requests received by e-mail, or postmarked, after 11:59 p.m. on August 11, 2022, will not be considered.
Master Plan Published
The District Council approved the master plan on March 8, 2022. The approved plan has been published and is available online for download or to view.
Sectional Map Amendment
The Bowie-Mitchellville and Vicinity Sectional Map Amendment (SMA) is the second phase of the 2022 Approved Bowie-Mitchellville and Vicinity Master Plan that will apply the recommended zones specified in the Comprehensive Zoning Chapter of the master plan to properties in the plan area. This SMA covers the northeastern portion of Prince George’s County, approximately 59 square miles, including planning areas 71A (Bowie and Vicinity), 71B (City of Bowie), 74A (Mitchellville and Vicinity), and 74B (Collington and Vicinity) in their entirety. The SMA will apply the new zoning regulations to select properties in the plan area based on the recommendations of the approved master plan.
The 2022 Approved Bowie-Mitchellville and Vicinity Master Plan is a guiding document formulated through public engagement to address future development in the City of Bowie and surrounding communities. This plan replaces the 2010 Approved Bowie State MARC Station Sector Plan and Sectional Map Amendment, and the 2006 Approved Master Plan and Sectional Map Amendment for Bowie and Vicinity, and is based on Plan Prince George’s 2035. The document carefully examines existing conditions and issues, and revisits the vision for the area. The plan also considers new strategies for future development and any associated land use and transportation issues.
- Approved Bowie-Mitchellville and Vicinity Master Plan (March 8, 2022)
Meetings and Events
District Council Review
- Resolution of Approval (CR-18-2022) (March 8, 2022)
Planning Board Adoption
- Resolution of Adoption 2021-142 (December 16, 2021)
Focus Area Tours
Thursday, October 29, 2020 (Bowie State University Student Focus Group)
Tuesday, September 22, 2020 to Wednesday, October 14, 2020 (Community Chat Series)
Thursday, November 12, 2020 (Existing Conditions Report Overview)
Thursday, November 12, 2020 (Playbook of Strategies)
Wednesday, September 16, 2020 (Existing Conditions Report Presentation)
Saturday, June 13, 2020 (Virtual Kickoff Meeting)
Tuesday, February 18, 2020 (County Council Initiation)
Thursday, January 23, 2020 (Planning Board Initiation)
Monday, November 25, 2019 (Bowie City Council Meeting)
Sectional Map Amendment Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the Bowie-Mitchellville and Vicinity Sectional Map Amendment?
- The Bowie-Mitchellville and Vicinity Sectional Map Amendment (SMA) is a comprehensive rezoning for certain properties within the boundary of the recently approved 2022 Approved Bowie-Mitchellville and Vicinity Master Plan.
- The SMA will not rezone every property within the project area but will only rezone specific properties identified in the plan.
- What is zoning?
- Zoning, broadly speaking, determines what can and cannot be built on a property and the amount of development that can occur. For example, a property in a residential zone typically prohibits the construction of non-residential uses like restaurants and factories.
- Why did I get this notification letter regarding the Bowie-Mitchellville and Vicinity Sectional Map Amendment?
- You may have received a notification dated July 14, 2022, because you own property within the boundary of the recently approved 2022 Approved Bowie-Mitchellville and Vicinity Master Plan.
- All property owners received the July mailing notifying you that the 2022 Approved Bowie-Mitchellville and Vicinity Master Plan, was approved by the County Council in March 2022.
- The Second notification was sent in August 2022 to only properties that are subject to the rezoning process. It was to inform you of the SMA’s Joint Public Hearing scheduled for September 27, 2022.
- If you think the current or proposed zoning for your property is incorrect you may submit your request using the new zone request form by August 11, 2022.
- What is my new zone?
- Most properties within the project area will retain their current zone.
- The proposed SMA document that identifies the specific properties recommended for rezoning will be released for public review in August 2022 on the project webpage https://www.mncppc.org/3390/Bowie-Mitchellville-and-Vicinity-Master-.
- Only those properties recommended for rezoning in the Comprehensive Zoning chapter and Appendix F of the 2022 Approved Bowie-Mitchellville and Vicinity Master Plan will be included in the proposed SMA document.
- Why are you rezoning?
- The SMA is the second phase of the 2022 Approved Bowie-Mitchellville and Vicinity Master Plan. The main reason for the SMA is to implement the approved master plan’s Comprehensive Zoning chapter and to encourage development that aligns with the master plan’s vision and goals.
- Will this raise my property taxes?
- In most cases, no. If you live in a single-family home your taxes will not increase as a result of this SMA process.
- What is the affidavit mentioned in the New Zone Request Form?
- If you wish to speak at the upcoming joint public hearing (September 27, 2022, 5:00 p.m.) or submit a letter, you must submit an affidavit. If you’ve had any type of discussion about the zoning of your property with a Councilmember you must fill out the affidavit. Otherwise, you do not have to fill out the form.
- Will this SMA change the City of Bowie boundaries, or my school district or zip code?
- No, it will not change the City of Bowie’s boundaries, school district, or zip code. An SMA only changes the zoning on specific properties.
Kierre McCune, AICPTeams Mobile: 240-273-4995